Baquer Namazi, an elderly American wrongfully detained in Iran, is leaving the country for surgery in the United Arab Emirates, his family announced Wednesday.
Namazi, 85, has been detained in Iran for more than six years and is going to the Cleveland Clinic in Abu Dhabi to have a severe blockage in his left internal carotid (ICA) removed, which poses a very high risk. stroke, the statement said. It will pass through Oman on its way to Abu Dhabi.
“It’s impossible to describe and describe enough how I feel. I am very grateful that after so long I will soon be able to hug my father again,” said Babak Namazi Baquer Namazi’s son in a statement. “For the last few years, I thought this day would never happen. It’s impossible to thank everyone who helped make this happen.”
IRNA published a video purportedly showing Namazi boarding a flight with a man dressed in traditional Omani clothing. In the video, Namazi was struggling to climb the stairs.
Namazi, who was detained by Iran for six years, struggled with health problems and developed further medical problems during his detention, Perseus Strategies, the law firm representing the family, said last month.
“Today is a good day for the Namazi family, but the work is far from over. Now we need the United States and Iran to act quickly to reach an agreement that will finally bring home all American hostages,” Jared Genser, managing director of Perseus Strategies and the family’s attorney, said in a statement.
Namazi was lured to Iran by the government on the false premise that he would be able to see his son, Siamak, arrested at that time. Namazi was instead promptly arrested in February 2016.
Siam Namazi was barred from leaving Iran after his visit in July 2015. He was interrogated for months before being arrested in October 2015.
This story has been updated with additional information.