Astroworld Festival: The family of a 21-year-old who died at last year’s festival settles a lawsuit against event organizers.




CNN

The family of a victim who was among 10 people killed in a crowd surge at a concert in Houston last year has settled a lawsuit against the event’s organizers, according to an attorney for the family.

A lawsuit by the estate of Axel Acosta Avila sought more than $750 million in damages after the 21-year-old college student died along with nine others at the Astroworld festival last November, which turned into chaos when rapper Travis Scott performed on stage.

Tony Buzbee, an attorney representing the family, confirmed the settlement to CNN in a written statement and said the terms are confidential.

“The victim Axel Acosta was a beloved son, brother and student. He was kind and loving. He misses a lot. Please keep his family in your prayers,” Buzbee said.

The Acosta family was among 125 plaintiffs suing event organizer Live Nation and headliner Scott. CNN reached out to representatives of Scott and Live Nation on Thursday.

The sold-out festival was one of the most anticipated music events of the year as much of the US was returning to normalcy after the Covid-19 pandemic shut down many social events.

Thousands attended, many from as far away as the country, including Acosta, who was a junior at Western Washington University.

But the festival turned into tragedy within minutes when concert-goers were trampled, trampled and struggling to breathe as the crowd surged towards the stage during Scott’s opening performance.

Fire and police officials at the festival reported disturbing behavior in the early hours of the morning. A handful of injured concertgoers were taken to the hospital by ambulance during the morning and afternoon of the festival, Houston Fire Department records showed.

At the time, it was unclear what Scott saw from the stage and whether he was aware of crowd conditions, but he continued for nearly an hour after suffering a “crushing injury.”

The police also reported that several people were trampled and eliminated in front of the stage as the concerts continued.

The disturbance prompted officials to declare the concert a “mass incident,” police said at the time.

Scott didn’t hear about the mass casualty statement until the next morning, his lawyer said.

In a statement released after the deadly mob surge, Scott said he was “saddened by the situation and wants to share his condolences and help (the victims) as soon as possible.” He also offered to pay for the victims’ funerals.