Coney Island drowning: Mother of 3 drowned to death charged with first degree murder

Erin Merdy, who sued in Brooklyn criminal court from her hospital bed at Lutheran Medical Center, was jailed again. He did not enter a plea and will be back in court on Tuesday.

Dressed in a yellow hospital gown, she sat on a cubicle and leaned to one side, answering only “Yes” to questions posed by city judge Archana Rao at the start of the session. He was flanked by a New York Police Department officer and his attorney, who did not immediately respond to CNN’s request for comment.

“The defendant admitted to his family that he hurt the children,” District Attorney David Ingle said Friday, adding that Merdy had custody of all three.

Merdy was hospitalized for a psychological evaluation after police found him “soaked” and questioned him Monday morning in Brighton Beach, near Coney Island, a law enforcement official said.

That morning, she was seen walking with her three children — a 7-year-old boy, a 4-year-old girl and a 3-and-a-half-month-old girl. The famous Coney Island Boardwalk, Ingle said.

Family members later called the police after Merdy told them, “The kids are gone” and “The kids are gone.” The mother told detectives that she “dreamed about the child walking on water,” a law enforcement official told CNN.

Ground, air and port units searched for the children. Around 4:42 a.m. Monday, officers found them unconscious on the West 35th Street waterfront.

The children were wet and covered in sand, Ingle said. All three were pronounced dead at a hospital after first responders administered life-saving measures, including CPR, NYPD Chief of Department Kenneth Corey told reporters Monday.

The children drowned early Monday morning, and their deaths are being ruled homicides, the New York City Medical Examiner’s Office said.

New York City police arrested Merdy this week on charges of second-degree murder, three counts of reckless disregard for human life and three counts of murder involving victims under the age of 11, a law enforcement official told CNN on Wednesday.