East Jerusalem has been shaken by a sixth night of clashes as Israeli strikes in the West Bank have left at least two Palestinians dead.


Clashes erupted in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah and the West Bank overnight Thursday into Friday for the sixth consecutive night, killing at least two Palestinians.

They were killed in an Israeli attack on Friday in the West Bank city and the refugee camp of Jenin, the Palestinian Health Ministry said.

He named Abdullah Al-Ahmad, a man who died as a “colleague and doctor”, and said he died “this morning in front of the Government Hospital in Jeningo, hit by a bullet that pierced the head by the occupying soldiers”.

The Palestinian news agency Wafa named the other dead man as 20-year-old Mateen Dabaya.

The Israel Defense Forces are investigating whether a person not involved in the Jenin riots was hit and injured, IDF international spokesman Richard Hecht said on Twitter on Friday.

The unrest in East Jerusalem was marked by Israelis and Palestinians throwing stones at each other.

At one point, Israeli television showed right-wing Israeli politician Ben Gvir pulling out a gun and saying: “If they throw stones, shoot them.”

At least 20 Palestinians were injured, five of whom required hospital treatment. Two Israelis were also sent to hospital, Palestinian and Israeli officials said.

The violence in East Jerusalem and the West Bank is the latest in an ongoing escalation of tensions between Israelis and Palestinians, which have claimed the highest number of deaths on each side since 2015 this year.

In Sheikh Jarrah on Thursday night, a CNN producer saw Israeli youths throwing stones at Palestinian vehicles, and Palestinian youths responding by throwing stones themselves. Some Israelis were shouting “Death to the Arabs,” CNN heard.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said that Palestinian injuries were the result of beatings and stone throwing during the night.

Clashes in Sheikh Jarrah on 13 October.

There were also clashes in the East Jerusalem neighborhoods of Silwan, Isawiyeh and Ras Al Amood, but the clashes in Sheikh Jarrah were the most violent.

Israeli police used stun grenades and a water cannon truck that spews foul-smelling liquid to disperse and beat the crowd.

Israeli police arrested 18 suspects in connection with riots involving rock and Molotov cocktails and firework shooting in East Jerusalem on Tuesday night, a police statement said.

The police said that the riots are “sporadic” and that they happened in a significantly smaller number of places than the previous night.

The two Israelis who required hospital treatment were injured by stones, according to the Magen David Adom rescue service. One was in moderate condition with a head injury and the other with a minor injury, the MDA said.

On Friday, joint Israeli forces raided Jenin to arrest Diaa Muhammad Yusef Salama, described by the IDF as “a 24-year-old operative of the terrorist organization Hamas living in the Jenin Camp.”

CNN cannot confirm Salama’s arrest or his affiliation with Hamas.

The IDF said he was caught carrying an M-16 rifle.

“During the operation in Jenin, some armed suspects opened fire on security forces in the area. The forces responded with heavy fire. The strikes were identified,” the IDF said in a statement.

“During the operation in Jenin, armed suspects fired explosives and numerous shots at the security forces. The forces responded by firing at the armed suspects. The blows were identified.”

Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Mohammad Shtayyeh said Abdullah Al-Ahmad, the doctor who died, was 43 years old. He was shot while trying to rescue casualties from Israeli gunfire, said Shtayyeh, who he described as a senior Fatah faction. Palestinian Authority.

Al-Ahmad was a husband and father of three children, according to Wafa.

Both Shtayyeh and the Palestinian news agency referred to Al-Ahmad as Abdullah Abu al-Teen, in accordance with the Palestinian custom of referring to a man as the father of the eldest son.

Atta Abu Rumeileh, a leader of the Fatah movement in Jenin, told Reuters that Ahmad had “participated” in Friday’s fighting, but did not say how.

A photo of al-Ahmad holding several weapons began to circulate after his death, but it does not appear to have been taken at the time of his death.

The Palestinian Ministry of Health said on Friday that five Palestinians were wounded in the attacks, in addition to the two killed.

The IDF also carried out raids in Nablus, and arrested two; In Hebron, where a gun linked to the earlier arrest of a suspect was seized, and in Burka, where two terror suspects were arrested.

The IDF did not name anyone detained in Nablus or Burka.