Fraud charges dropped against man accused of voting illegally in 2020


Voter fraud charges against a Texas man accused of voting illegally in the 2020 Democratic primary were dropped Friday.

Hervis Rogers said he waited more than six hours to vote in Houston’s March 2020 Super Tuesday primary, and was the last person to vote at a polling place on the campus of Texas Southern University.

Then, in June 2021, the Texas attorney general charged Rogers with illegal voting in the November 6, 2018 general and special elections and the March 3, 2020 Democratic primary election despite serving a 25-year sentence. to steal

He was previously convicted of robbery in 1989 and 1995, according to the indictment. Because he was on felony parole, he could not vote under Texas law, according to the Texas attorney general’s office.

In Texas, ex-felons are allowed to vote after serving sentences and all conditions of supervised release, such as probation.

On Friday, Montgomery County District Judge Lisa Michalk dismissed the criminal charges against Rogers.

In a statement released by her attorneys at the ACLU of Texas, Rogers said, “I’m grateful that justice has been served. This has been a terrible thing to go through, and I’m very glad my case is over. I hope I can get back to my life.”

When he was arrested, ACLU officials told CNN that Rogers did not know he was voting illegally.

“We are happy that justice has been done for Mr. Rogers. He should never have been prosecuted, and this verdict allows him to put this traumatic event behind him and move on with his life,” said Tommy Buser-Clancy, senior staff attorney for the ACLU of Texas.

The Texas attorney general’s office has not yet commented on the judge’s decision to dismiss the criminal charges.

The night she voted, Rogers told CNN that the incredibly long lines at her polling place didn’t deter her and that she would wait as long as she needed to vote.

“I thought it was my duty to vote. I wanted to get my vote to give my opinion. And I wasn’t going to let anything stop me. So I waited,” Rogers said in March 2020.

He was the last person to vote at a polling station located at Texas Southern University, a historically black university in Houston, CNN previously reported.