Ivan Toney: Brentford condemn racist abuse of striker


Ivan Toney scored twice against Brighton on Friday

Brentford have condemned the “disgusting and racist abuse” suffered by striker Ivan Toney after two goals. They beat Brighton 2-0 on Friday.

Toney posted a screenshot of a direct message she received on Instagram and wrote on Twitter: “I wasn’t going to post this but I woke up angry.”

In a statement, the Bees stated that they have condemned discrimination “in the strongest possible terms”.

“An attack against one of our players is an attack against everyone,” the club said.

“Ivan will have the full support of the club and Brentford fans who have seen us condemn his abuse.

“We look forward to the strong support of the police, legal authorities and Instagram’s parent company, Meta, to ensure that the individuals involved face the full force of the law for this despicable hate crime.”

Brentford added that all relevant authorities, including the police, had been notified.

In May, Toney and teammate Rico Henry said families were abused After Brentford’s 3-2 win over Everton at Goodison Park last season.

Toney, 27, scored either side of half-time, including a second-half penalty, as Brentford returned to winning ways against Brighton.

The players took a knee before kick-off as part of the Premier League’s No Room For Racism campaign, which teams performed before every Premier League game between October 8 and 16 to show unity against all forms of racism.

Premier League captains decided before the start of the current season that the players would stop the anti-racism gesture before the match to take a knee before each game. Now it will be seen before some games.

Toney was called up to the England squad for September’s Nations League games against Italy and Germany, but was not used by Gareth Southgate.