Six-time winner Phil Mickelson says the PGA Tour will have to accept losing control over the world’s best players after creating LIV Golf.
The Saudi-backed circuit has signed a number of top players, but the PGA Tour has suspended participation in its events.
“The PGA Tour has had the best players in the world for the last 20 or 30 years,” Mickelson said.
“That will never be the case again. LIV Golf is here to stay.”
According to Mickelson, the compromise that allows the two circuits to co-exist is a natural result of the current standoff.
“The best solution is for us to come together,” the 52-year-old American added on Friday after carding a two-under 70 in the opening round of the LIV event in Chicago.
“I think the world of professional golf needs the old ‘history of the game’ product that the PGA Tour provides. I think LIV gives it a very fresh and updated feel that is attracting a lot of younger people.
“They’re both good for the game of golf and it’s necessary for LIV Golf to join the ecosystem of the golf world. As soon as that happens, we’ll all start working together. It’s going to be really positive for everyone.”
However, CEO Greg Norman said earlier this week LIV Golf he had no “interest” to negotiate. after trying and failing to get into the PGA Tour discussions last year.
This year’s Open champion and world number three Cameron Smith, two-time major winner Dustin Johnson and American duo Brooks Koepka and Bryson DeChambeau are also among LIV Golf’s big-money recruits.
Johnson leads the 54-hole tournament in Chicago at nine under par after the first round, three behind Smith. It is the fifth of eight invitational events in LIV Golf’s inaugural season.