Mahsa Amini: Five people have died in Iran in protests against the woman’s death, rights groups say

The Hengaw Human Rights Organization, a Norwegian-registered organization that monitors rights abuses in Iran, said five people were shot dead during demonstrations in Iran’s Kurdish region on Monday. He said another 75 were injured in other cities over the weekend.

CNN could not independently verify reports of deaths and injuries.

Amini, a 22-year-old Iranian woman who died last week in Tehran after being arrested by Iran’s moral police, sparked protests.

Iranian officials said Amini died on Friday after suffering a “heart attack” and being in a coma after being arrested last Tuesday. However, her family said she had no prior heart disease, Emtedad news reported, a pro-reform Iranian media outlet that said it had spoken to Amini’s father.

Security camera footage released by Iranian state media showed Amini being dropped off at a “re-education” center where she was taken to receive “orientation” on her dress code.

Iran’s morality police is part of the country’s law enforcement and is responsible for enforcing the Islamic Republic’s strict social norms, including a dress code requiring women to wear the headscarf, or hijab, in public.

Iranian police said Amini’s death was an “unfortunate incident” and denied he was physically harmed while in custody, Iran’s semi-official Fars News agency said Monday.

Iranian authorities say they have performed an autopsy on Amini’s body. Speaking on state television on Saturday, the director of Iran’s Medical Forensic Institute, Mehdi Forozesh, said the results would be released after they were examined by medical experts.

At a press conference on Monday, Greater Tehran Police Commander Hossein Rahimi said police “did everything” to keep him alive.

But the police’s explanations were rejected by protesters who took to the streets in Tehran and other cities on Monday, demanding justice and accountability.

Amini, 22, was arrested by Iran's morality police and died on Friday.

The semi-official Fars news agency reported that protesters were “unconvinced” by the police’s justification for Amini’s death and said he died “under torture”.

After Amini’s funeral on Saturday, security forces fired tear gas at protesters in his hometown of Saqqez in Iran’s Kurdistan province, Fars said, while Iran’s semi-official Mehr news agency said protesters demanded answers from police and allegedly threw stones. governor’s office

Iran's supreme leader appeared at the event amid reports that his health had deteriorated

Fars also posted a video showing demonstrators chanting anti-government slogans late Sunday in Sanandaj, the capital of Kurdistan province.

A video shared by the Free Workers’ Union of Iran showed protesters in Sanandaj shouting “death to the dictator”. Another video showed women taking off their hijabs and waving in protest in Tehran.

Separately, internet watchdog NetBlocks said on Monday that its real-time data showed “an almost complete disruption of internet connectivity in Sanandaj”.