NASA postpones date of next Artemis I launch attempt


Sign up for CNN’s Wonder Theory science newsletter. Explore the universe with news about fascinating discoveries, scientific breakthroughs and more.



CNN

Officials at NASA is delaying the next launch attempt of its Artemis I mega moon rocket by four days until September 27, space. the agency announced on Monday.

The Artemis mission team targeted September 23rd. Oct. 2 is the backup date “under review,” according to NASA.

the space The agency is dealing with a problem with the rocket, called the Space Launch System, or SLS, which leaked as it was fueled by supercooled liquid hydrogen during its final launch attempt from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Saturday. September 3. Repair work on the hydrogen leak area took place over the weekend, according to NASA.

the space The agency had been working to test the liquid hydrogen fuel system on September 17, but the date for that cryogenic test has been pushed back to September 21, NASA said on its Artemis blog.

“The updated dates represent careful consideration of several logistical issues, including the added value of having more time to prepare for the cryogenic proof test and then more time to prepare for launch. The dates also allow managers to ensure that crews are adequately rested and to resupply cryogenic propellant supplies. ,” NASA shared in the blog post.

The September 21 test will include an engine bleed, according to the agency. The mission team cleared the first Artemis I launch attempt on Aug. 29, largely because of a problem discovered in the engine bleed, which cools the engines for launch, which officials believe was caused by a faulty sensor.

The September 27th launch window is 70 minutes long – shorter than the 120-minute window available on September 23rd.

Officials at NASA said the space agency continues to provide information to the Eastern Highlands, which must grant an exemption for the rocket to be on the launch pad.

READ MORE: Big numbers that make Artemis I a monumental feat

“NASA continues to respect the Eastern Range process for reviewing the agency’s request to expand the current test requirement for the flight termination system and is providing additional information and data as needed. At the same time, the agency continues to prepare potential options for the test and launch of the cryogenic proof, should the request be approved if it was,” the blog stated.