Even after Fetterman said he intended to discuss Oz, questions lingered about when he might deliver on that promise. Fetterman’s speech remains slurred after a stroke he said nearly killed him, but he and his campaign insist his “auditory processing” problems are part of the recovery process and will improve over time.
“This isn’t health, this is honesty,” Oz said. “Either John Fetterman is physically able to debate and he’s not debating because he doesn’t want to own up to the statements he’s made, the radical leftist statements he’s made on so many issues, or he’s lying about his health.”
Fetterman’s commitment to a single debate date is unlikely to satisfy the Oz campaign, which has said that with mail-in ballots coming soon, many voters will make up their minds without seeing the pair together.
CNN has reached out to the Oz campaign for an answer.
In his announcement Wednesday, Fetterman expanded on the Oct. 25 debate, which will be hosted by Nexstar and aired on numerous affiliates across the state, and noted that Oz had previously committed to participating.
“We said from the beginning that we would have a debate, and John made it very clear again last week. Enough of the distractions, it’s time to talk about the issues,” Fetterman campaign senior adviser Rebecca Katz said in a statement.
CNN’s Michael Warren contributed to this report.