Retired detective and Kansas City narcotics officer charged with conspiracy to run underage sex trafficking operation



CNN

A veteran Kansas City, Kansas, homicide detective conspired with a local drug lord to help run a sex-trafficking operation involving underage girls, prosecutors alleged in an explosive indictment unsealed Monday.

Roger Golubski, a retired 35-year veteran of the Kansas City, Kansas, Police Department, allegedly used his position to shield the operation from law enforcement investigations, according to a three-count indictment filed in U.S. District Court in Topeka. Golubski entered a not guilty plea, said his attorney, Chris Joseph.

“Roger maintains his innocence and hopes to clear his name from these decades-old and unverified allegations,” Joseph said in an email to CNN.

A sex-trafficking operation in the 1990s by a local crack dealer named Cecil Brooks and two other men victimized 13-year-old girls, according to prosecutors.

In exchange for her protection, Golubski collected money from Brooks and “allowed her to choose girls to offer her sexual services,” the indictment says.

Golubski, who retired from the police department in 2010, was charged in September with sexually assaulting a woman and a girl two decades ago while “acting under color of law,” meaning he used his police position to commit the crimes. He has also pleaded not guilty to these charges.

In that case, while he was under house arrest awaiting trial, prosecutors filed a second indictment on Monday, charging him with two counts of “conspiracy against human rights” and “involuntary servitude” in connection with the alleged sex-trafficking ring. Both cases stem from a grand jury investigation first reported by CNN last year.

According to Monday’s indictment, Brooks recruited “young runaway girls” or “young girls from broken homes” and locked them in a room at an apartment complex, where he and co-defendants LeMark Roberson and Richard “Bone” Robinson used threats and physical beatings. . forced to perform sexual acts. The indictment mentions two unidentified victims who allege they were held captive and forced to have sex.

One of the victims told authorities she was just 16 years old when Golubski pulled her hair, choked her and raped her.

It was not immediately clear whether Golubski’s co-defendants appeared in court, and if so, how they presented the charges. No one was immediately available for comment.

Golubski first came under public scrutiny in 2016 for his work in the double murder conviction of a man named Lamonte McIntyre. McIntyre, who served 23 years in prison, was released in 2017 after the district attorney in Wyandotte County, which includes Kansas City, concluded he no longer believed the conviction and asked a judge to dismiss the case.

After his release, McIntyre and his mother filed a civil suit in federal court against several officers involved in his arrests, specifically targeting Golubski. The lawsuit accused Golubski of using his badge to terrorize the black community for decades. He was accused of numerous crimes and misconduct, including preying on vulnerable black women for sex and having an illicit association with Brooks, who allegedly paid Golubski for information and protection.

The case was settled this summer for $12.5 million, but neither Golubski nor the other defendants, including fellow officers and the county government, admitted wrongdoing.

The allegations surrounding Golubski gained national attention last year when Team Roc, the social justice and philanthropic arm of rapper Jay-Z’s Roc Nation entertainment company, took out a full-page ad in the Washington Post calling out alleged police corruption in Kansas City. One of the worst abuses of power in US history” and called on the Justice Department to investigate Golubski and the Kansas City Police Department.