Here’s what else you need to know Start your week Smart.
• Prince William, Prince Harry and other grandchildren of Queen Elizabeth II held a vigil by her coffin on Saturday as the royal family prepares to say goodbye to the late monarch at her state funeral on Monday.
• Tsunami waves are possible along coasts within a 300-kilometer (186-mile) radius of a 6.9-magnitude earthquake that struck southeastern Taiwan earlier today, the United States Geological Survey said.
• Puerto Rico is dealing with Tropical Storm Fiona, which could become a hurricane by the time it hits the island today, bringing threats of flooding and mudslides.
• About two million people in southwestern Japan have been ordered to evacuate ahead of a powerful typhoon forecast for the region today, according to public broadcaster NHK-World Japan.
• House Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced Saturday that she is leading a congressional delegation to Armenia this weekend, her office said, becoming the highest-ranking US official to visit the country since independence in 1991.
Queen Elizabeth II’s state funeral will begin at 11 a.m. (6 a.m. ET) in London. CNN will provide exclusive live coverage of all ceremony events beginning at 5:00 PM ET. World leaders, politicians, public figures and European royalty, as well as more than 500 dignitaries from around the world, will descend on London to pay their last respects to Britain’s longest reigning monarch.
To get updates about the British Royal Family delivered to your inbox, sign up for CNN’s Royal News newsletter here.
The midterm elections are officially less than 50 days away and the final sprint to the November 8 finish line is underway. Here’s what we’ve learned from a grueling first season and what we’ll see come Election Day.
Federal Reserve officials will wrap up a two-day meeting to determine the direction of the central bank’s next interest rate hike. A disappointing inflation report last week led some analysts to expect the Fed to raise rates by a full percentage point, above recent expectations of a three-quarter hike.
September 21 is also the UN International Day of Peace.
The Fall Equinox begins at 9:00 PM on September 22nd, so grab a hot pumpkin drink and head out to “admire” your neighbors’ Halloween decorations.
And it’s World Rhino Day, which is a great excuse to show off this adorable baby white rhino that was born last month.
Get your policy fix in podcast form
this week one thing podcast, CNN Chief Political Correspondent Dana Bash previews the November midterm elections. He examines what’s at stake, examines key issues, and examines how abortion motivates voters on both sides of the aisle in Michigan. Listen here
Photos of the week
See more moving, fascinating and thought-provoking images He was the curator of CNN Photos.
What happens in entertainment
Through TV and streaming
“The US and the Holocaust” premieres the first episode of a three-part, six-hour series tonight at 8pm on PBS. This latest film by Ken Burns is about America’s 20th century. It examines the poor response to one of the greatest humanitarian crises of the 20th century.
The second season of “Abbott Elementary” premieres Wednesday at 9:00 PM ET on ABC with Emmy-winning creator and star Quinta Brunson.
Disney+ will premiere the “Star Wars” series “Andor” on Wednesday. “Andor,” a prequel to “Rogue One,” which was a prequel to “Episode IV: A New Hope,” chronicles the evolution of young Cassian Andor from common thief to galactic martyr.
“Sidney” lands on Apple TV+ on Friday. The documentary produced by Oprah Winfrey looks at the life and pioneering career of Sidney Poitier.
“Don’t Worry Darling,” directed by Olivia Wilde and starring Florence Pugh, Gemma Chan, Chris Pine and Harry Styles, opens Friday. The film is already getting a lot of attention.
What happens in sports
Game 4 of the 2022 WNBA Finals airs today at 4:00 PM ET on ESPN. The Las Vegas Aces lead the Connecticut Sun 2-1 in the series and are one win away from the title. Connecticut must win at home on Tuesday to force a decisive Game 5 in Las Vegas.
Round 1 of the 2022 Presidents Cup begins Thursday at Quail Hollow Club in Charlotte, North Carolina. The biennial match play tournament pits the US national team against an International Team representing the entire world (excluding Europe…that’s the Ryder Cup).
Take CNN’s weekly news quiz see how much you remember of the week! So far, 34% of quiz fans have answered eight or more questions. How will you go?
‘Cheeseburger in paradise’
Did you know today is National Cheeseburger Day? Now, before our inbox gets flooded with comments about eating responsibly, all meat alternatives are welcome at the table! And now, some grill music please… (Click here to view)