Wales 23-55 New Zealand: Rampant All Blacks outlast hosts with eight-try display

Winger Rio Dyer breaks out to score a try on his Wales debut
Wales (13) 23
Attempts: Dyer, Tipuric Cons: Anscombe 2 Pens: Anscombe 3
New Zealand (22) 55
Attempts: Taylor 2, J Barrett 2, Smith 2, Savea, Taukei’aho Cons: Mo’unga 4, B Barrett 2 Pen: In fact

New Zealand extended their winning streak against Wales to 33 matches with a thrilling victory in their Autumn Nations Series opener in Cardiff.

Codie Taylor, Aaron Smith and Jordie Barrett scored two tries as Wales continue their 69-year wait for victory over New Zealand.

Ardia Savea and Samisoni also added tries.

Wales debutant Rio Dyer and captain Justin Tipuric scored tries, while Gareth Anscombe kicked 13 points.

New Zealand number eight Savea was a constant thorn in Wales’ side with his powerful ball-carrying and solid work in his man-of-the-match performance.

Wales, yet to beat New Zealand since 1953, face Argentina, Georgia and Australia in the rest of their autumn campaign.

New Zealand were seen by some as vulnerable after defeats by France, Argentina, Ireland and South Africa in the past 12 months, but the All Blacks rallied to win the rugby championship.

The All Blacks proved that reports of their demise were unfounded as they scored 50 points for the second consecutive year at the Principality Stadium.

Both sides were missing players. New Zealand returned home with injured captain Sam Cane and Dane Coles, while lock Brodie Retallick was suspended after his red card against Japan.

Sam Whitelock, whose grandfather Nelson Dalzell captained the side that lost to New Zealand in 1953, and Sam Barrett joined his brothers Jordie and Beauden at center and full back respectively.

Wales were without Liam Williams, Josh Adams and Alex Cuthbert which allowed the debut of Dragons winger Dyer.

Manager Wayne Pivac was also forced into a late change with full-back Leigh Halfpenny out with a hamstring injury.

Rhys Priestland came on at 10 in his first start for Wales in five years and Anscombe switched to 15.

With regular captain Dan Biggar injured, Tipuric departed, before paying poignant pre-match tributes to former Wales captains Eddie Butler and Phil Bennett.

English referee Wayne Barnes became only the second referee in rugby union to officiate 100 Test matches and started the match by blowing the whistle used in the 1905 match between Wales and New Zealand.

It was Mo’unga who opened the scoring before Dyer got himself into the game with a great tackle on Sevu Reece.

After Savea turned over possession, flanker Dalton Papali’i slotted through the Welsh defense to set up a move that lasted 11 phases before Taylor drilled the hook and converted Mo’unga.

He hit the same combination shortly after as Taylor scored his second try after powerful work from Savea.

Dyer enjoyed a dream debut with a try from a well-worked lateral move, the winger taking a well-placed pass from center Nick Tompkins to convert Anscombe.

Tompkins and center George North were heavily involved in carrying the ball in the first half and helped set the platform for an Anscombe penalty to cut the deficit to seven points.

New Zealand struck quickly, but Jordie Barrett lifted over Dyer to collect Mo’unga’s dangling kick and the All Blacks’ third try tumbled over the line.

Hooker Ken Owens, 35, was playing Wales’ first international after recovering from a long-term back injury and was instrumental in the hosts’ lead.

Another Owens run set up Anscombe’s second penalty to make it 22-13 Wales at the break.

Wales scored world record goals from Alun Wyn Jones and Dillon Lewis through Adam Beard and Tomas Francis early in the second half.

Tomos Williams’ hack set up an attacking platform for Wales after Taulupe Faletau hunted down Beauden Barrett.

Wales were dismissed early on before Anscombe scored a third penalty to put the home side on the scoresheet.

New Zealand calmed down again with a superb individual effort from scrum-half Smith, who was celebrating being the All Blacks’ biggest defender.

Wales collected Tomos Williams with a chip kick that led to a try from captain Tipuric after Priestland challenged for a high ball.

Wales threatened a comeback at 29-23 with just under 30 minutes remaining but the All Blacks’ class told.

Once again New Zealand capitalized on a poor home run to restart, Savea creating a terrific dummy before slotting Smith’s second try.

The New Zealand number eight created so much for others, but earned his reward when he crossed for the visitors’ sixth try.

Anscombe almost scored Wales’ third try after charging a shot from Beauden Barrett but was denied by a brilliant Mo’unga cover.

Wales gave their debut to substitute fly-half Sam Costelow, who witnessed a New Zealand masterclass on his arrival to international rugby.

Jordie Barrett scored his second before substitute Taukei’aho hooked a cross as the visitors dominated the final quarter.

Beauden Barrett’s conversion proved the final result as Wales continue their losing streak against the All Blacks.

Wales: Anscombe; Rees-Zammit, North, Tompkins, Dyer; Priestland, T Williams; Thomas, Owens, Francis, Rowlands, Beard, Tipuric, Reffell, Faletau.

Replacements: Elias, Smith, Lewis, Alun Wyn Jones, Tshiunza, Hardy, Costelow, Watkin.

New Zealand: B Barrett; Reece, R Ioane, J Barrett, Clarke; Mo’unga, Smith; De Groot, Taylor, Lomax, Whitelock (capt), S Barrett, Frizell, Papali’i, Savea.

Replacements: Taukei’aho, Tu’ungafasi, Newell, Vaa’i, A Ioane, Weber, Havili, Lienert-Brown.

Judge: Wayne Barnes (RFU)

Assistant referees: Karl Dickson (RFU) and Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)

TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)