World chess champion Magnus Carlsen explicitly accuses his rival of cheating



CNN

World chess champion Magnus Carlsen released a statement on Monday confirming allegations of cheating against rival and fellow chess grandmaster Hans Niemann.

The statement, which was made through A Twitter messageCarlsen follows his recent withdrawal from the 2022 Sinquefield Cup in Saint Louis, after a third-round defeat to Niemann and a single move at the Julius Baer Generation Cup on September 20, he gave up on the American.

Carlsen had not previously explicitly accused Niemann of cheating, which Niemann denies.

In the statement Carlsen said: “When Niemann was invited to the 2022 Sinquefield Cup at the last minute, I strongly considered withdrawing before the event. In the end I chose to play.

“I think Niemann has cheated more than he has publicly admitted – and recently. His progress on the board has been extraordinary, and in the match we played in the Sinquefield Cup, I got the impression that he was not tense or fully focused on the game in critical positions, and in a way that I think crossed me like black. few players can do it.

“This game helped change my perspective.”

Carlsen said that “cheating in chess is a big deal and an existential threat to the game” and that “chess organizers and everyone who cares about the sanctity of the game we love should seriously consider increasing security measures and cheat detection methods.” for the chess on the board.’

Board chess is played face-to-face, rather than online. Carlsen did not elaborate on how Niemann might have cheated.

Carlsen stated that he has no plans to take on anyone who has repeatedly cheated in the past because he “doesn’t know what they’re capable of in the future,” before explaining why he hasn’t spoken publicly until now.

“At this point, I’m limited to speaking clearly about what I can say without Niemann’s express permission,” said the 31-year-old Norwegian.

“So far I have only been able to speak with my actions, and those actions have clearly indicated that I am not ready to play chess with Niemann. I hope the truth about this matter comes out, whatever it may be.’

Carlsen’s statement is the latest twist in the saga that has consumed the chess world since his defeat against Niemann and his subsequent withdrawal from the Sinquefield Cup.

On Friday, the International Chess Federation (FIDE) reprimanded Carlsen for abandoning the match against Niemann after just one move, but added that it shared the world No. 1’s “deep concern” about the damage cheating is doing to chess.

FIDE also said in the statement: “We believe there were better ways to handle this situation.”

Days after the Sinquefield Cup match, Niemann publicly responded to allegations that he had cheated earlier in his chess career. The 19-year-old admitted to cheating between the ages of 12 and 16, but St. In an interview at the Louis Chess Club, he said he had never cheated at table games.

“I’m telling my truth because I don’t want to be wrong,” Niemann said. “I am proud that I have learned from that mistake, and now I have given everything to chess. I sacrificed everything for chess.”

Carlsen won the Julius Baer Generation Cup despite retiring against Niemann.